Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Alarm Clock Conversations

I have always been pretty good at finishing up a workout at 9:45 PM, taking a shower, hopping in bed, and being sound asleep within a few minutes. For some reason, that has started to change. Now, after an evening workout, I lay in bed FOREVER and can't fall asleep. It's suuuuuuuper annoying and frustrating because I'm exhausted!

So, I've decided that I need to be getting up extra early to get some of my runs in before work. I have to leave for work at 7:00AM. Sometimes I have to run 8 miles before work.... Even if you're not good at math, you can probably figure out that when I run before work, I have to get up WAY.TOO.EARLY.

And it's hard.

Every.Single.Time.

But, the more I practice this tiresome horrific task, the "easier" it gets. This is because my mind is beginning to fully understand all of the benefits of finishing my daily workout before my day even truly starts. So, when my alarm goes off at 4:30ish, and I hit snooze (every single time), my brain takes over and starts its own little conversation with the sleepy parts of my body. It goes something like this:

Hey, that was your alarm...let's get this run DONE!
(No. Let's go back to sleep.)

No really. Get up. You're not going to be able to fall back asleep now anyway. 
(You can totally fall back asleep. Stop thinking. Just sleep.)

Come on. If you get it done now you can have a glass of wine and relax after the kids go to bed instead of getting on the treadmill!
(You don't need a glass of wine. Running at night is just fine.)

No, seriously. You don't want to have to even think about your run today. Just get up and it will be over!
(Maybe you could squeeze in a run right after work, and then you could still relax and have that glass of wine when the kids go to bed...)

No way. You are not going to throw your kids in front of the TV for an hour after school so that you can get your run done before their bedtime. That's just selfish. It's either now or at 8:45 tonight, and you know that sucks.

ALARM.....

And...we're up.



And before I know it, the run is over.

And I'm pretty proud of myself. 

And a little tired.

But, I'm 99% percent sure I would've been tired with another hour of sleep anyway.

Boom.


Sparkle.Pounce.Talk Yourself Into It.

-Kendra

No comments:

Post a Comment