Monday, September 26, 2016

Make It Count

I love running. I really do. But I also really, really look forward to taking a break from running after every marathon. Experts say that you're supposed to take at least a full two weeks off from running following a full marathon, and I take that very seriously. And I enjoy every second of not running during that time.

During this two week break, I took the first week off completely. I didn't do any type of physical activity. But during the second week, I started my at home strength workouts back up and went mountain biking three times!! 

Me on my favorite trails at Addison Oaks Park. 

Holding a plank for one of my 20 minute strength workouts in my backyard. 


I have embraced the change of seasons, and with that, a change of routine. It has been awesome. So refreshing, and exactly what I needed after soooooo much running this year. Honestly, after that last marathon and my health stuff, I was ready to hang up my running shoes and just take a break for a while.

And then, I went back to the doctor last week. Ya see, the symptoms that I had, that led me to getting a colonoscopy, are triggered by intense running. So, now that I'm not running hard, or at all, my symptoms are gone. In my mind, I was thinking I was pretty much home free until I decide I want to really work at my running again (which I'm not planning on doing any time soon...). But, the doctor was not of the same mindset. He wants to get this figured out with a definitive diagnosis...

Imagine this conversation:

Doctor: We need to do another colonoscopy when the symptoms are occurring.

Kendra: (Insert nervous joking) So you're saying you want me to pick my running back up to an intense enough level that I cause these symptoms again?

Doctor: Well, yes. We need a diagnosis. And that's the only way to get one.
.
.
.

FANTASTIC!!!

Did I mention I was ready to hang my shoes up for a while?! 

So, in true Kendra fashion, I went ahead and registered for another marathon. Because if I have to start running again, you better believe I'm going to be working towards that 50 marathons in 50 states goal! Indiana...here we come!

Sparkle.Pounce.Make It Count.

-Kendra







No comments:

Post a Comment