Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Running "From" Something?

Why do I run? 

Every once in a while I will read an article or a blog, or talk to someone who assumes that everyone who runs is running "from" something. This is annoying to me. Running away from something gives the impression that you are hiding from your problems, rather than facing them. So, when I see something that tells me to "just run" from my problems, it really bothers me.

And then, weeks like this come along, and all I want to do is run. 

It hasn't been a horrible week, but it hasn't gone as expected either. I was supposed to take Monday off to stay home with my boys who had the day off from school. But, due to some family issues, I found out Sunday that I need to take a day off next week. So, taking Monday off wasn't a great idea. No big deal. I worked yesterday, after a jam packed weekend of company and fun.

Then, today, I was needed to sub. (Maybe you've heard the commercials on Pandora about how Michigan has a shortage of substitute teachers...true story.) So, my schedule was thrown off completely and I subbed in middle school all day, and for 45 minutes of the day I also subbed in a 3/4 split. So, I was handling twenty-four 8th graders and twenty-two 3rd and 4th graders all at once. Boom. 

In the midst of that, I got a phone call from my sons' school that my little guy wasn't feeling well and needed to be picked up. Luckily, my husband was able to go grab him so that I could continue filling in for other teachers that had family emergencies. 

Then, I had to tutor after school. I finally got home at 5:15 and walked into my house that WREAKED of skunk. I mean, totally and completely smelled like there was a skunk in my house. Apparently, we have a friend that has moved in under our home for the winter and feels the need to spray his nastiness on a regular basis. This is the 3rd time in the last month and a half that the smell of my own home makes me want to vomit because of this creature. 

I digress.

After all of this, I honestly could not wait to get my run done. Actually, today at work when I dropped the 3/4th graders off at gym, I literally ran back to the middle school building to get back to subbing for the 8th graders, and it felt so good to run. Granted, I was in a hurry, but I still just wanted to run. It made me feel alive and in control, and like I was being ME instead of pretending to be someone else for the day (because that's what subs do...).

So, when I got a UPS package delivered to my house at 6pm with a new running shirt it in (from a super thoughtful friend!), it made my run even that much better.




And that made me start to think about the idea of running "from" things. It is true that I generally have better runs when I'm stressed out or having a bad day or worried about something. But, I don't think that's because I'm running away from my problems. Instead, it's because my runs help me work through them. 

During my runs I feel alive. I am reminded of how much my body is capable of and how blessed I am to not be suffering physically. As the people around me deal with so many issues from cancer, to infertility, to thyroid problems, to arthritis (just to name a few), I am only dealing with a hard run on my marathon training schedule. That's about as tough as it gets for me, physically, right now. And I need that reminder.

Also, during my run I have time to process things that are going on in my life. It's my time to think. And I really need that. 

So, when I'm feeling overwhelmed or bummed or just "blah" about February in Michigan, all I want to do is go for a run. But don't be fooled. I'm not running away anything. I'm running so that I'm prepared to face life head on!

Sparkle.Pounce.Run It Out.
-Kendra




3 comments: