Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Now What?

If you know me at all, you know that I struggle with not having a definite goal. So, every time I cross a finish line, I go through a phase of discontent. At first there's the high that accompanies the major accomplishment. But that is followed shortly by a bit of panic and an unsettling feeling, because I just don't know what I'm supposed to be doing if I'm not following a plan. 

This time is no different. I trained hard for 5 months, and achieved something I never thought I could do...qualified for the Boston Marathon. 

During the last couple months of my training I was nursing a sore shin. Compression socks and sleeves were a permanent accessory, high heels were out of the question, and my ice pack saw quite a bit of action. It's been a few years since I've had a stress fracture, but I know what they feel like. I've had plenty. They start out manageable, and then they're not. Luckily, I was able to finish my training and my race with tolerable pain.

The next couple of days after my race, my shin was screaming at me for putting it through that. But then, as the week went on, it calmed down and I had zero pain....until I decided to go for my first run. And, actually during the run the discomfort was minimal. The next morning, however, was a different story. My body was definitely telling me it needs a break from running. Which is funny because my appetite is telling me a different story...

So, now I'm left in a place I don't like to be. I have no training plan on the calendar. I have no race to train for. And my body wouldn't let me even if I did.

Instead of completely freaking out about this I definitely freaked out on the inside but have restrained from an outward meltdown, I have recruited some friends to help keep me accountable. I don't have an official workout schedule written down yet, but I will soon! It's going to be a combination of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), biking, and maybe even possibly some swimming (cringe!). 

For me, it's all about keeping it fun, finding a way to be held accountable, and sticking to a plan. 

I got this.




Because I'm a pretty persistent little bugger.

Sparkle.Pounce.Stick To It.

-Kendra




No comments:

Post a Comment