Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Things That Matter

Last weekend was jam packed for me. Saturday morning began with soccer and baseball, followed by a trip out of town to help my parents with some spring cleaning, and leaving me getting home around 10:40 pm Saturday night. Sunday morning my alarm was set for 6:00 am to get up and fit in my 20 mile run so that it didn't consume my whole day. And, even though it was a beautiful morning, I opted to stick to the treadmill so that my pace would be consistent and there was a bathroom close by because I've been having some GI issues....eeeeeek!

So, for the last 5 miles of my 20 MILE TREADMILL RUN, I was interrupted approximately every 7 minutes by one of my boys wondering when I'd be done because everyone was ready to go fishing, and they were just waiting for me. Rush, rush, rush! 

Off the treadmill, into the kitchen to drink my recovery shake, and then upstairs for a quick shower before heading to Lake St. Clair for a day on the water. 


It was a perfect day of fishing and lounging on the boat, leaving us getting home around 6:00 pm, just in time to eat dinner and help Liam with his book project before heading to bed.

Oh.Boy. 

I woke up Monday morning feeling completely exhausted and not quite ready for the week ahead. But, there was no time to not be ready. It was time to go. Go. Go.  After work, Liam had a baseball game that left us getting home at 9:00 pm.

When I woke up Tuesday morning I was absolutely in a frenzy. All of the thoughts of the things I didn't accomplish over the weekend were rushing through my head like a waterfall of distress. We needed groceries, I didn't do the laundry, the house was a mess, I had no plans for dinner, when in the world was I going to get all of that done?!?!

So, when I got home with the boys after work (and making a quick stop at the grocery store to grab something to make for dinner), I was on a mission. I made dinner and then started going at it. Folding, sorting, washing laundry. Cleaning the kitchen and chopping veggies. Packing lunches. Sweeping and vacuuming. During all of this, we managed to eat dinner as a family, and then Will took the boys outside so I could keep checking things off of my "to-do" list in the house.

I was finally starting to feel comfortable with how much I was accomplishing, when Finn came inside and said, "Dad wants to know if you want to go on a family walk."

WHAT?!?!

Me: Ummm...right now?
Finn: Yes
Me: I don't know. I'm cleaning the house.
Finn: I'm telling him you said yes.
Me: I didn't say yes. I said I don't know.
Finn (as he's running back out the door): I'm telling him you said yes!

Sigh....

What I really wanted to do was finish getting everything done in the house! But, I put on some tennis shoes and walked outside to see what was going on.

Of course, once I was out there, there was no turning back. We were off on a family walk (well, the boys rode their bikes and Will and I walked) on the dirt roads by our house. We were gone for an hour, and it was absolutely perfect. Conversation just seems to flow easier when you're walking, and it gave Will and I a chance to slow down and catch up on some things that had gone undiscussed over the busyness of our weekend. And the boys enjoyed racing down the road and circling back to check in with us often.

That night during prayers, Liam thanked God for letting us go on a family walk and spending time together. It made me tear up a little to think that in my worries about completely unimportant things, I had almost missed out on that opportunity to enjoy my family. 


Sometimes it's the smallest things that put everything back into perspective. If you've never watched this video about the jar that seems to be too full to hold anything else, you should check it out. It's a great reminder of how important it is to always put the things that matter first in your life. 

Sparkle.Pounce.Remember What Matters.

-Kendra





No comments:

Post a Comment